Growing spinach seeds is one of the many ways to grow spinach. There are other ways in which you can grow spinach successfully and include growing spinach from cuttings. Follow along with this handy guide to learn how to grow spinach from cuttings.
How to grow spinach from cuttings
Here is a step by step guide:
1. Prepare the potting mix: before you prepare your spinach cuttings, you need to prepare your pot where you will plant the cuttings. Choose a large container at least 16 inches deep. The container should also have a wider radius. Fill the container with either garden soil or potting mix. Before you add the garden soil, make sure you mix in compost, shredded leaves, and if the soil is too compacted, add in coarse sand. Mix all these ingredients thoroughly and add the mixture to the container.
2. Prepare the spinach cuttings: Find fresh spinach with its roots intact. Do not use spinach with damaged roots and wilt leaves. Cut the spinach halfway as it was shown in the image above. Make sure you leave some part of the stem to the roots.
3. Plant the spinach cuttings: Create holes in the potting mix that can accommodate the size of the roots. Insert one cutting per hole. Leave 3-5 inches of space between holes.
4. Water the cuttings and potting mix: Water gently the cuttings with a sprayer that has a fine nozzle. Keep the potting soil moist. Do not over-water.
5. Place the container in a good spot: Spinach is a leafy green vegetable that does not like too much sunlight. So, place the container in a well-ventilated area that receives about 2-6 hours of direct sunlight.
6. Feed your spinach plants: After 7-10 days, your spinach cuttings must have started growing out new roots and leaves. At this time, you need to mix in fertilizer that is riches in nitrogen. Nitrogen is required for proper leaf growth. You can alternatively add compost manure such ad chicken droplets and cow manure.
7. Take care of your spinach: Water the spinach when the top surface of the potting mix becomes dry. Do not overwater. When the outside is too hot or Sunny, take your spinach to a shade. Leaving the spinach under extreme heat or sun can damage spinach leaves and affect healthy growth. (Tip: Learn more on How To Grow Spinach In Pots.)
How to grow spinach from seeds
Here is a step by step guide on how to grow spinach from seeds:
1. Choose the right planting time: never go wrong with time. This is because when you planted during the hot summer, your spinach might not grow well. Spinach grows well in cool weather and in a season with Short days. So, consider planting spinach in the fall. You can also plant spinach in early spring or toward the end of summer.
2. Choose the right spinach variety: find a good variety of spinach from your local growers or garden centers and buy. Seeds from local growers are good and they are adapted to the common pests and diseases, and climatic conditions. (If you are unsure how to choose and buy quality seeds, read our articles on how to choose and buy quality seeds from here and here.)
3.Prepare the garden spot: you need to choose a good site for planting the seeds. Spinach grows well in soil with a pH that is near neutral. The soil should be well-drained and rich in organic matter. The place should also be an area that receives about 2-6 hours of direct sunlight. Do not choose a site with the extreme sun.
4. Prepare the garden spot: use a garden fork to loosen the top 10-inch layer of the garden soil. Remove large rocks, stones, roots, and other off plants. Mix in 2-4 inches of compost after preparing rows.
5. Plant the spinach seeds: sow 2-4 seeds per hole. Place them 1 inch deep and cover the seeds with about 0.5 inches of soil. Leave 3-5 inches of space between holes and 16 inches of space between rows. Water gently after planting. After 5-10 days, the seeds can start to germinate. If all the seeds germinate, thin the seedlings to reduce overcrowding. Leave 3-5 inches between plants. ( Tip: Learn more on how to grow plants from seeds.)
6. Take care of your spinach seedlings: as you usually, if you, want your spinach plants to grow healthy, you need to give them maximum care. Watch for pests and diseases, and control them. Water at regular intervals and feed them with nitrogen fertilizer from time to time.
In this article, I looked at how to grow spinach from cuttings and seeds. I hope you will find this article helpful. Let me know if you any questions.